Hi friends! Today I am excited to share an easy recipe that I have been really been enjoying. I got this inspiration for this recipe from my husband’s aunt. She made a similar dish for a girl’s lunch one day last fall and I couldn’t stop thinking about how delish it was, so I had to try it myself. Now, I have been making my chicken salad with pecans and grapes on repeat for months. It’s great over salad, on a sandwich or with crackers.
If you follow me over on Instagram, you know that I have love-hate relationship with my slow cooker. After many attempted recipes, I think I finally found the best use for this common kitchen appliance – pulled chicken! It’s a great base for a variety of seasonings and marinades. Now that I have figured that out, the slow cooker is my go-to for easy meal prep. The slow cooker I have is on the smaller side and pretty basic, but it gets the job done. I also like that it easily fits in one of my lower kitchen cabinets (click here).
The trick to making chicken in the slow cooker is to let the chicken and seasonings be the star of the show. No need for extra ingredients or tons of liquid. That being said, other than when I used the slow cooker for chili, I rarely use it for a complete meal. For this recipe, I stuck with the basic ingredients for the chicken because I wanted a neutral flavored base for the chicken salad. I am not a huge fan of mayo, but I love Primal Kitchen’s classic Avocado Oil Mayo. According to their website, they pride themselves on offering products, “that contain no dairy, gluten, grain, refined sugar or soy” (source: Primal Kitchen). A huge plus for a gluten-free gal like me! You’ll also notice that their products are paleo and whole 30 friendly. I am definitely going to be trying more products from Primal Kitchen.
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase an item through an affiliate link, I may earn a small commission. All opinions/recommendations are my own. Thank you for shopping through my links!
Gluten Free Chicken Salad with Pecans and Grapes
- For the chicken:
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 c unsalted chicken broth (water works fine too)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion power For the chicken salad
- 1/2 c mayo (or more to your liking)
- 1 c red grapes, halved
- 1/4 c pecans, chopped
- Fresh cracked s/p to taste For the Dressing
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- Drizzle of EVOO
- In your slow cooker, combine chicken with liquid and dry seasonings and cook for 4 hours on high.
- Once chicken is done, carefully transfer chicken to a clean bowl and discard extra liquid.
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Add mayo, grapes and pecans. Mix together throughly.
- Place the chicken salad over greens or on sandwich bread. Drizzle with EVOO, a little fresh lemon juice and fresh s/p. Tip: If you don’t need to completely meal prep, wait to add the grapes, pecans, EVOO, lemon juice, s/p until you’re about ready to eat. I think this helps the grapes and pecans from getting soggy.
Don’t miss a post on Red Rose & Honey by dropping your email in the box below. Thanks for subscribing!